Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

S10E11: World Enough and Time
AWESOME!!
80%
 80% [ 8 ]
Good!
20%
 20% [ 2 ]
Okay...
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Bad!
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
AWFUL!!
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6207
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Discuss!!

Last edited by SeaDevil on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:19 pm

They're released a preview clip, too...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rogue

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:37 pm

I liked this story the most of any this season. I'm actually looking forward to part 2. I've tended to dislike the two-parters in recent years, as they can have the same problem as the extended classic episodes (too much filler).

I only wish the images of the Mondasian Cybermen and Simms' Master had never been shown. I knew right from the start what was going on, and this is one of those stories that would have benefited from a true shock reveal. I had guessed early on that time was moving faster at the back of the ship because of the black hole. But it was still fun to watch everything develop.

I don't even care that this is the 2nd (3rd? do we count the Brig?) companion to be turned into a Cyberman. It was done well here. Maybe even better. I think Moffat is going out with a bang. Where has he been hiding the decent plots all these years??

And "Doctor Who" Laughing Missy was great as always, and it was nice to see her ignorance of her earlier incarnation. Kind of the opposite of the 10th Doctor meeting the 5th Doctor.

Regardless of the spoilers we were subject to, it is nice to see the "Genesis of the Cybermen" part 1 Wink And the return of John Simm as the Master!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:36 pm

Oh, Rogue, don't get my hopes up again that the series finale will live up to the penultimate excitement.  I thought the same thing last series and instead got a gun toting Doctor blasting fellow Timelords.   Or the year before with "Cyber-Brig" saving the day.  

Other than the "Doctor Who" bit going on a bit too long, I did enjoy this episode.  And I agree that it would have benefited immensely from not having 4 out of 5 twists publicly spoiled by the BBC prior to transmission.  

But on the good side, the Mondas Cybermen are suitably creepy.  The open mouth during speech may not be as pronounced as "Tenth Planet", but at least they kept a similar cadence and tone to the voices.  I was quite afraid they'd get "ruined" while being "made better for modern, more sophisticated audiences".  They are subtly different, but I like them.

Now I'm just afraid of part 2 and stunt casting tanking the next series.  My worst fear that comes from a fairly spoiler free preview of the Christmas Special and next series is:  
just a wild guess:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:50 am

I finally get to vote an episode as "awesome"! The only thing that would have made it better would have been not showing the Cybermen and Master in the trailers/online.

Seriously, why the heck did they have to do that? It would have been great to watch it all unfold and be looking at all the clues and second-guessing yourself.

The dialogue was fun, the creepiness was the best it's ever been in the new show and I didn't notice any new-series silliness.

darn, why wasn't the whole series this good?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ted47

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:29 am

I agree with all statements above me. It sort of reminded my of the video game
"Silent Hill" Finally,  a truly creepy story. Also, especially agree about giving
away the plot in the trailers. I will not watch the trailer for the last episode.

Oh, I would totally buy a figure of the John Simms Master if
they did one. But not holding my breath.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Surprising. Creepy. Tense.  Dare I say...

Loved it...!!!!   cheers  

This has been a great season.  I really hate to see Peter Capaldi go even more now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr_WhoTMNTfan

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2015-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Finally an Awesome episode during a really crappy Season of Doctor Who. I hope the second part of the finale is as good. This Season has been so bad I pretty much forgot what happened during most of the season. World Enough and Time is the first episode I would actually re watch out of this season.
Whoever made the truth monk 3 parter should be locked in a dungeon

Man Poor Capaldi he will be New who's Colin Baker great doctor crappy writing and not a lot of memorable stories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2151
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:35 pm

So how does this fit with the Big Finish audio story Spare Parts? I thought the Big Finish audios were canon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:44 am

Invisible Supreme wrote:
So how does this fit with the Big Finish audio story Spare Parts?  I thought the Big Finish audios were canon.

I don't think Big Finish has been declared canon by the show runners, but there is a whole time war that can rewrite anything they need to correct. Continuity not correct? Don't worry, blame it on the Time War. It is my understanding there is also a BBC policy that the "general public" need not seek out audios and books to understand the story on TV. I think the best TV Doctor Who can ever do is to try not to contradict Big Finish.

You can also have a colony ship from Mondas develop Cybermen when guided by the Master while at the same time the 5th Doctor can run into fresh Cybermen back on Mondas. I don't see these two episodes in direct conflict with "Spare Parts".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior

Number of posts : 3984
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Wowie wow wow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9563
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:23 pm

I like this one, especially with my Cyberman obsession. I am glad it was not set on Mondas, so Spare Parts isn't contradicted. But......if Mondas could build colony ships like this, why would they have been stuck on Mondas and had to turn themselves into Cybermen in the first place?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1072
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)   Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:28 pm

I voted good because of Simm! Loved the reveal and final line of Genesis.

The horrible fate of poor Bill left a sour taste for me throughout the episode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

S10E11: World Enough and Time (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: