Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

SDCC UT?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Krynoid

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:03 am

I am only interested in seeing the classic line continue. I find the that those characters are more interesting to look at.

I don't mean to derail this convo into a wish list but I am still holding my breath for the Pirate Captain. REALLY wanna see that as a figure. As well as a bunch of monsters. I think a Vervoid would be cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thun

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:10 am

The classic series is a wellspring of figure ideas to draw from, even if they only did two or three every year for SDCC, that would be better than nothing at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:57 am

Krynoid wrote:
I am only interested in seeing the classic line continue. I find the that those characters are more interesting to look at.

I don't mean to derail this convo into a wish list but I am still holding my breath for the Pirate Captain. REALLY wanna see that as a figure. As well as a bunch of monsters. I think a Vervoid would be cool.

Pirate Captain with Robot Parrot would be cool. Maybe in a 2 pack with a Key to Time 4th Doc?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:32 pm

Wouldn't it be cool if they did a character from each of the key to time episodes and each came with a segment?

A scale Kroll to start...LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Colbster

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:10 pm

There really are a ton of great characters from the classic AND modern series that could still be made. There have to be fans out there who still want figures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Sad to see things fizzling out I bought my first TARGET Book on Dec 3, 1979 at a Dr. Who convention in Los Angeles.  But lately It seems to me that the market has become oversaturated with T shirts, mugs, magnets and so on.  I don't even buy and of them.

I finally let the paperback / hard back book series go after making an attempt a few years ago to close many of the gaps in my 8th Doctor - 11th Doctor range.  I bought the first three paperbacks released for the 12th Doctor here at WHONA and have not touched another book since them.

I still keep up with Big Finish as best I can but even with those you can find a sale of just about anything you want on line if you wait for it and have some patience.  The day they finally go download only (if it happens) that will be the end of my BF purchases

I jumped for joy when they came out with the 3rd Doctor comics and ordered the first batch right here at WHONA and then stopped.  No idea why I just stopped and I love Jon Pertwee I need to buy some more of them this pay day.

Eaglemoss is giving me the figures I want and after waiting for months I took advantage of there recent sale to plug a few holes in my collection.  They seem to be pumping out the figures that CO would not touch with a barge pole and they are selling well enough to continue.

As for the current series that just finished transmission on BBC 1 I did not watch a single episode.  I had offers to be able to watch the BBC 1 broadcast and passed on it.  Ill just wait for the BD to come out and the price to drop and Ill see it in time for Christmas.

As for the non fiction books it seems to me that there is to much being published to the point of over kill.  To many reference books when you can find the same information on line.

We even have a store here in the middle of West Virginia that sells Doctor Who Magazine, I was stunned I went in a few months ago and read the entire issue in the store.  Now I did not do that again but everything in the magazine I was able to find out about on line, previews of the new episode's, previews of Big Finish products and so on and so on.

I think the world is simply over saturated with Doctor Who Merchandise.  And I like that stuff but some of it is simply to expensive.  I love Big Finish but cant keep up with the out put so I let some ranges that I enjoy go.  I do have other interests outside of Doctor Who that I have been spending my money on the past year not to mention the daily things we have to pay for in life (Car insurance, mortgage's and so on).

I do hope that things get better in the Doctor Who merchandise department though but a lot of the stuff I see on sale simply does not appeal to me any more
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tboneterry2

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Well they announced a women will be the new Doctor Who not happy and very disappointed to hear that, I have not been. A Missy fan. In the UK they are really bent going down this road right now, it's a political statement. Doctor Who has a rich history, there are great lady timelines Romana (a spinoff of her would be fantastic) The Rani was a great lady timelord villain is what Missy should have been.. This is a huge reason they are getting away from classic Doctor Who so they can reboot it in a new direction. I have been a huge fan but I can not go down this road with the show, I still have classic Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:39 pm

This casting decision is what it takes to drive me away from New Who. Your right Missy could easily have been The Rani.

This is what it will take to finally get me to stop spending money on Doctor Who. The BBC obviously don't care about the long term fans they are chasing away but as its there property they have the right to do with it as they please. I am glad I am not a member of any general Doctor Who forum of general Doctor Who Facebook group as I can just imagine what's going on on those pages
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thun

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Doctor Who is officially dead. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stanlow

Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Not happy with today's announcement either. No plans to watch beyond this year's Christmas spaecial and will only be following the 1963-2017 Doctors. Want to rewatch The Doctor Falls to see if perhaps I can actually put a cap on the series with the end of that and not even include the regeneration at Christmas in my personal canon. A sad day. On the plus side, I no longer care if any 5" Doctor figures are released. Maybe it's time to go back to Big Finish 😊
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tboneterry2

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:44 pm

This a hugely a political move , the UK has been having a big movement of Secular Indoctrination. BBC is run by the government. A lot of fans have seen a huge push away from classic Doctor Who part of that is to get away from from the Classic shows values. It's the BBCs show, Doctor Who is about change, but there are limits I see this as a huge failure. This lady actor is probably great, (A Romana tv show spinoff would have been great !!!) As the Doctor no thanks. I watched the Class spinoff. It was terrible BBC is all about social issues right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6244
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:47 pm

There are threads in the Doctor Who Discussion threads regarding this topic of the new Doctor.

http://whona.realtvboard.com/f6-doctor-who-discussion

This thread is really for speculation on any SDCC releases from Character Options' toy line.

Sea
Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tboneterry2

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 pm

With this announcement, with the BBC trying to get away from Classic Doctor Who to reboot it, This could be a huge reason the Classic toy line has not been getting a lot of support, I'm sure Charecter will get a 13th Female Doctor out fast (I will pass on that one). This could be SDCC item. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amckinney

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:16 pm

tboneterry2 wrote:
I'm sure Charecter will get a 13th Female Doctor out fast (I will pass on that one). This could be SDCC item.

Not a chance. Jodie Whittaker has said she has no idea what her "Doctor outfit" is going to look like. What she wore in the trailer is no more official than that pinstripe suit Colin Baker wore when he was announced back in 1984. I'm sure other things like hairstyle (maybe even hair colour) are also not necessarily what they will be in the show.

They're not supposed to start shooting until October (I believe), and the only episode with her televised this year will be the Christmas special (so she'd be in Capaldi's clothes) so I cannot imagine there'll be a figure this year. They can't just re-use Capaldi's body as she and he would not be anywhere near the same body type.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rogue

Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:40 pm

amckinney wrote:
Not a chance. Jodie Whittaker has said she has no idea what her "Doctor outfit" is going to look like. What she wore in the trailer is no more official than that pinstripe suit Colin Baker wore when he was announced back in 1984. I'm sure other things like hairstyle (maybe even hair colour) are also not necessarily what they will be in the show.

I had a chuckle at all of the fan art that came pouring out with Jodie Whittaker in those clothes as the Doctor.  I don't think people realized that the final costume wasn't picked out yet. If anything, those clothes look like one of Capaldi's costumes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amckinney

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:19 pm

Rogue wrote:
amckinney wrote:

I had a chuckle at all of the fan art that came pouring out with Jodie Whittaker in those clothes as the Doctor.  I don't think people realized that the final costume wasn't picked out yet.  If anything, those clothes look like one of Capaldi's costumes.

I read on another forum that her clothes are hand-me-downs from at least two different actors. I just don't remember which two (i.e. if both were from former Doctors or not). I think it might be that the hoodie was Capaldi's and the coat was Smith's?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Jodie Whittaker's new outfit is the same bikini that Peri wore in Planet Of Fire. They want to make sure everyone realizes the Doctor is now a wo-man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Krynoid wrote:
Jodie Whittaker's new outfit is the same bikini that Peri wore in Planet Of Fire. They want to make sure everyone realizes the Doctor is now a wo-man.

I am sure that the bikini will be in top notch condition for her world premiere
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebreen

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Easy now. These comments are getting rather crass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thun

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:04 pm

And they will continue (and get worse). Just look at the accompanying flurry of crudeness that follows any sci-fi female. The stereotypical image of a nerd is apparently accurate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:19 pm

The bikini comment came and went within an hour. It was you two naysayers that prolonged the event across days and turned it into something bigger than it was. A great example of what's wrong with the world today.

Have your opinion but don't force it on others.

I made the comment because I was watching a Dr Who DVD and one of the extras was a trailer for the Planet Of Fire DVD. The trailer featured a long feet-to-head camera move along Nicola Brant's body. A body clad only in a bikini. I was struck by the blatant sexism of the shot. Any crass created was created by the original creators.

I believe the word I'm looking for here is irony.

Sci-fi has always been geared towards males. So it's creators have always given those males something to look at. It's only recently (relatively speaking) that females (en masse) have gotten into Sci-Fi and voiced their opinions towards any objectivism and of course, gotten any gumption to create their own Sci-Fi...which has male eye candy in it.

So everyone gets a bit.

Stop making mountains out of molehills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thun

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Oh, I had no problem with your comment. I absolutely understood and agreed with your intent. It's just that every time, without fail, that a sci-fi program introduces a female character, all of the stereotype fanboys start making the same old tired comments being as crude as can be.

By the way, I know the Peri shot you referenced, and I completely agree with your assessment.

I apologize if my comment seemed directed at you; it was not. I am simply dreading what is to come.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6244
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Ok...back to talking about the speculation as to what CO/UT might have at SDCC....

...oh...SDCC is over...and there was nothing?

Oh...then I guess there's nothing much else to say here...

Wink

...just trying to stave off any arguments...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:34 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Ok...back to talking about the speculation as to what CO/UT might have at SDCC....

...oh...SDCC is over...and there was nothing?

Oh...then I guess there's nothing much else to say here...

Wink

...just trying to stave off any arguments...

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Thun wrote:
Oh, I had no problem with your comment.  I absolutely understood and agreed with your intent.  It's just that every time, without fail, that a sci-fi program introduces a female character, all of the stereotype fanboys start making the same old tired comments being as crude as can be.

By the way, I know the Peri shot you referenced, and I completely agree with your assessment.

I apologize if my comment seemed directed at you; it was not.  I am simply dreading what is to come.

No apology required, but accepted.

As Sea Devil has pointed out, we are off topic but while we're here, I am concerned with how the Doc being female will affect the storytelling now.

Obviously, the Doctor is now pretty and we all know pretty women have power over men. Hopefully, the only fly in this ointment is that the Doctor is new to this idea and doesn't (or at least shouldn't) see sexuality as a means to an end. But I'm sure the writers will see things otherwise...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

SDCC UT?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Product Discussion :: Toys & Releases-
Jump to: