Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

SDCC UT?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
skifflebits

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2015-12-02

PostSubject: SDCC UT?   Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:29 am

Any whispers about whether UT will be releasing any DW toys for SDCC? The 13 Docs set was a pleasant surprise, but it seems like UT may have stopped distributing the DW line completely. Have they said anything one way or the other?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Who North America

Number of posts : 5672
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:08 pm

We do not have any information at this time. Sorry!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com
skifflebits

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2015-12-02

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks for the status report. Good to at least have info on the current lack of info. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SirPrize

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:00 am

As UGT have cancelled their orders of the last few Collector's figures and Tardis Playset...; Not quite sure they'll have something this year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tboneterry2

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:43 pm

If they did the 2nd Doctor in the fur coat it would be a huge hit for them. The Web of Fear Yeti would be fantastic to exspecialy since that is out on DVD. They have both figure prototypes done. Here is to wishful thinking. On a sidenote I had a couple of extra Sutek figures I don't customise (I'm not big on chopping or changeing figures) but took a crack at making a Horice and an Osrion it turned out fantastic.
This is 10th year for the figures it would be nice to have a big bang at SDCC for 2017.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Who North America

Number of posts : 5672
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:03 am

Just a heads up, but a lot of companies are dropping the Doctor Who license this year.

This includes:
USAopoly (Doctor Who Monopoly, Clue, Risk, Yahtzee, Trivial Pursuit)
Culturenik (Doctor Who mugs, posters, fridge magnets)

And while we have not had official announcement from certain other companies, the amount of items available through them is rapidly decreasing, giving us reason to believe they will drop their license as well.

Meanwhile, newly introduced products are few and far between, with many items apparently suspended in developmental he11.

These are signs of a diminishing property in popularity. We keep reducing numbers on items (books, Big Finish audios, etc), only to find that we have not reduced quantities ENOUGH. People are not buying Doctor Who items like they did 3 years ago.

While this has nothing specifically to do with UT, I seriously doubt they are not experiencing the same situation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com
SirPrize

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:07 am

Not surprised sadly...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tboneterry2

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:50 am

Me neither I've been doing Doctor Who since the 80s I ran a club at Western Washington University and we landed a couple of conventions. Nicolus Courtney & JNT, Than Colin Baker the next year. When Colin got in it was a big shock to some people, Capaldi is having the same effect is part of it. I know a lot of people who got into Doctor Who now they don't want to watch the old guy. Moffits view on the classic Doctor Who has not been helpful. The 50th was fun but a dispointment to classic fans. I have really done well on picking up the Charector Options Doctor Who line and have spent a lot on my set. As well as other Doctor Who items. There is an eb & flow on everything, but this is frustrating, Well i'm still a Docotor Who junky and will promote it whenever I can. The Latest Doctor Who magazine special about Doctor Who toys is a great read (highly recommended). I printed it out before it got pulled The Charector Options in detail about their figure manufacturing process in 2007. The games and toys we got we could't imagine that in the 80s & 90s. It has been a fantastic run, Doctor Who has become mainstream here and it's not dead yet, but it does need a boost right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1874
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:43 am

Funko is doing an exclusive Clara Pop! https://funko.com/blogs/news/sdcc-2017-exclusives-wave-5-tv
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Steve Of Destruction

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:08 pm

I was really hoping we'd have a Bill figure. Now I'm wondering if we'll even get a new Doctor in the 5'5 line...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebreen

Number of posts : 814
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm not surprised either, sadly.

I don't think it's just Capaldi (though I think that has been a factor) but it's the fact that we're post-50th-Anniversary. We're not 'building' to a major event anymore, which makes fandom less exciting in general. Even regeneration is a bit humdrum.

I hope the new Doctor breathes some renewed interest in the franchise BUT I hope they don't resort to 'publicity-stunt' casting of the Doctor, which is a seemingly constant rumor. I fear it would feel like a desperate attempt to get publicity and be the final nail in the coffin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ianotimelord

Number of posts : 1457
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:45 am

I see it as a fault of the BBC. No series last year and poor publicity. I think they are more interested in overseas sales of the programme.

Next month we will be getting the sets from the discount chain here in the UK, begins with a B...
Character have not done anything major in ages, apart from the 13 Doctors set which was just repaints and tweaks. I wonder why they still have the licence or why bother when they hardly release anything. Mind you Al Dewar said its North America that figures sell well in the DWM toy special.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com/
SirPrize

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:24 am

Ianotimelord wrote:
I see it as a fault of the BBC. No series last year and poor publicity. I think they are more interested in overseas sales of the programme.

Next month we will be getting the sets from the discount chain here in the UK, begins with a B...
Character have not done anything major in ages, apart from the 13 Doctors set which was just repaints and tweaks. I wonder why they still have the licence or why bother when they hardly release anything. Mind you Al Dewar said its North America that figures sell well in the DWM toy special.

CO have renewed the DW licence with BBC earlier this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:40 am

SirPrize wrote:

I must say, that truly surprises me given that they've produced so little over the last couple of years.  Even that 3.75 inch line seems to have fizzled out.

Maybe they're just waiting for the next Doctor and seeing if that rekindles sales/interest?  Even if they only did a handful of 5" figures a year, that would make me happy... and if they had some new 'Classics' in the mix, I'd be over the moon! Even assuming they want to stay 'current', I'd think they could easily do 4 figures a year: New Doctor, New Companion, New Monster/Villain, Classic figure... Then follow up with more new and classic monsters/villains and classic companions until time to do another 'new' companion or Doctor.
I'd really love it if we could get a new-age Ice Warrior and Smith/Capaldi era Cyberman in the 5" scale!

Whatever's happens with CO, I hope Big Chief keeps producing 1/6 Doctor Who figures... at least until I get a Third Doctor!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ianotimelord

Number of posts : 1457
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Like thebreen said, I too am surprised they renewed it. Considering in the last year we have had 13 repaints/tweaks and three new figures. Maybe with so many companies giving up the BBC were more than happy to carry on with CO, maybe they go a special bargain Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com/
SirPrize

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:32 am

It probably means that nobody is interested in the toy licence and that CO still sees some value in having it. Or they would have dropped it if they thought they would lose money.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:18 am

SirPrize wrote:
It probably means that nobody is interested in the toy licence and that CO still sees some value in having it. Or they would have dropped it if they thought they would lose money.

I think you're right. I suspect CO sees maintaining the license as safe business.  Even if the show's popularity has dropped, there will soon be a new producer, new Doctor, and maybe even a new companion. All/any of these things could breathe new life into the license... Even if all we get is a new Doctor figure, two years from now.  I suspect CO is waiting to see the lay of the land before potentially giving up the license and letting another company swoop in and take it while it's still potentially profitable.  

That makes sense to me.  Then again, it also makes sense to me that CO increased production of new figures (especially classic characters) in the lead up to the 50th anniversary, which they didn't really do... so what do I know? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SirPrize

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:56 am

thebreen wrote:

That makes sense to me.  Then again, it also makes sense to me that CO increased production of new figures (especially classic characters) in the lead up to the 50th anniversary, which they didn't really do... so what do I know? Rolling Eyes

To increase production, you need demand...
you don't produce if you don't have any buyers... meaning retailers in this case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Wow, re-reading what I typed, I'm amazed it made sense. I meant to say it would have made sense for CO to try for more classic characters leading into the 50th... but you got the point.

As far as demand goes, SirPrize, you make a fair point. I just would have thought if there was any time for the demand to be at its highest, that would have been the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SirPrize

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:04 am

thebreen wrote:
Wow, re-reading what I typed, I'm amazed it made sense.    I meant to say it would have made sense for CO to try for more classic characters leading into the 50th... but you got the point.

As far as demand goes, SirPrize, you make a fair point.   I just would have thought if there was any time for the demand to be at its highest, that would have been the time.

Ahh it does make sense LOL

yep, it would have been the best time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
djdwtw101785

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2014-12-03

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:03 am

This is sad to hear. I really enjoyed this season of Doctor who. The biggest part i like about this season is bringing back Classic characters. Just like last season with the Daleks. It really make me wanted to buy a lot of the classic action figures but sadly money have been really tight with students loans. So I have to put my dream of getting the classic figures to add to my collection of action figures on hold. I always keep checking the site to see if you guys still have tons of classic figures. One day I'm going buy a whole bunch from you guys like I did in the past
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1072
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:34 am

I hope a new Company tries a larger scale like Diamond Select 7" figures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thun

Number of posts : 1244
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:29 pm

NO! NO! NO! We don't need another freakin' scale change!!!

IF Character were to let the license go and another company were to pick it up, I would hope desperately that they would try to match the Character figures as closely as possible and essentially continue the line, giving us all the characters that we've been wanting so badly (classic companions!!!) that CO has refused to do.

If another company started doing figures at a different scale, there's no way I could invest in starting a whole new collection because I just can't afford it.

Sorry for the rant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SirPrize

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:12 am

Brain of Davros wrote:
I hope a new Company tries a larger scale like Diamond Select 7" figures.

7" is way too big for action figures. Either go Mego style with 8" (not BBP though) or keep smaller. I would be happy with the 6" scale though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rogue

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: SDCC UT?   Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:12 pm

I would also like to see the CO 5" scale continue, only because it's come so far, it should not be changed now.  I remember when they first came out, I lamented that they were not 1:12 or 1:18 scale.

I never understood why McFarlane, NECA, etc made 7" scale action figures.  I hate that they aren't in scale with so many 6" (1:12) lines.  We can't have Ash from Evil Dead attacking a Buffy villain.  But, we also can't have Spider-Man or Darth Vader visit the Doctor.  it's the only downside to the CO figure range.  Otherwise, the detail and articulation they put into their 5" scale figures (especially the more recent years) has been fantastic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

SDCC UT?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Product Discussion :: Toys & Releases-
Jump to: