Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
digby

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2007-09-28

PostSubject: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Not sure when WhoNA is getting the new "hoodie" Capaldi figures, but a friend of mine got a couple from the UK -- and they are friggin tall!

It's really strange how the 5 inch line keeps getting progressively taller and taller compared to the older figures. The new hoodie Capaldi version is even taller than the original "series 8" Capaldi ... and as I recall people thought that one was too tall as well!

It's really obvious when you have them both in your hands ... and the shoes are gigantic. Seriously, the new Capaldi feet seem oddly elongated.

Other than that the sculpt looks great, and is visually MUCH more interesting than the simple button-up shirt and jacket sans vest Capaldi version.

So when (if?) WhoNA gets them I'll pick up one too. Just be warned the action figure line-up on your display shelf is about to look wacky!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toweroftechnobabble.com
Ben C.

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2014-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Swapping the boots makes a big difference. After the boot swap, he's essentially the height of the Series 8 figure (don't mind the figs for comparison, it was for another thread on another forum)... note the shoulders are now the same height:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
j3h

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2014-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:27 pm

It is very easy to swap the boots on the new Capaldi figures with feet from the older ones, which brings the height down a bit. Head swaps are easy too if so inclined.   A couple of rushed photos wearing sunglasses from an old "Shotgun Mary" figure...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
digby

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Ben C. wrote:
Swapping the boots makes a big difference. After the boot swap, he's essentially the height of the Series 8 figure (don't mind the figs for comparison, it was for another thread on another forum)... note the shoulders are now the same height:

Oh wow, that does make a difference!
Like I said it wasn't my figure, so I didn't really think to investigate if swapping feet was a possibility.
(I DID notice there were no peg holes on the bottom of the new feet .... GRRRR ... so swapping feet with the old Capaldi sounds even more desirable!)

Was it a simple boil and pop?

Last edited by digby on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
digby

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:36 pm

j3h wrote:
It is very easy to swap the boots on the new Capaldi figures with feet from the older ones, which brings the height down a bit. Head swaps are easy too if so inclined.   A couple of rushed photos wearing sunglasses from an old "Shotgun Mary" figure...

Hey great pics, and thanks for the info!

Glad to hear it was easy ... did you boil-n-pop, or could you just twist them off?

Love your sunglasses, and I have an old guitar keychain that I think is around the right scale, so I'm looking forward to getting one of these now.

thanks!
Back to top Go down
Ben C.

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:43 pm

digby wrote:
No boiling needed!
On both the Series 8's (where I took the replacement boots from) and on the new figures, the feet came off quite easily with just a moderate bit of tugging... no tools or boiling needed. Here's the even better thing - popping the new feet on is JUST as easy. Which, if you've ever done the boil and pop method is not always the case!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
digby

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Ben C. wrote:
digby wrote:
No boiling needed!
On both the Series 8's (where I took the replacement boots from) and on the new figures, the feet came off quite easily with just a moderate bit of tugging... no tools or boiling needed. Here's the even better thing - popping the new feet on is JUST as easy. Which, if you've ever done the boil and pop method is not always the case!

Thank you thank you! -- this makes me even more excited about getting one or both of these. I figured it'd be something I'd have to live with! So happy to hear it's an easy fix.
(Seriously guys ... wait til you see the size of these new feet!)

Are you gonna look for a 1:12 scale guitar?
Back to top Go down
Ben C.

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:56 pm

digby wrote:
Nah - I'm a guitarist, so not having a Yamaha SGV800 in 1:12 scale and substituting something else would kinda bother me for some reason. I know I know, it's crazy Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
digby

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Ben C. wrote:
digby wrote:
Nah - I'm a guitarist, so not having a Yamaha SGV800 in 1:12 scale and substituting something else would kinda bother me for some reason. I know I know, it's crazy Smile

Not crazy at all, I get it!
I'm a bass player ... and for no really good reason back in the late 90s the Epiphone Viola basses used to "bother" me. Well, no real reason except for them not being Hofners!
Back to top Go down
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2703
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Ben C. wrote:
digby wrote:
No boiling needed!

I boiled and popped mine. Wrestling would have been required otherwise on my particular Cappies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
digby

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Ben C. wrote:
digby wrote:

Just remembered, he played a red SG in "Helll Bent" ... might have even been the epiphone version?
Back to top Go down
digby

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:52 pm

pixletwin wrote:
Ben C. wrote:
digby wrote:
No boiling needed!

I boiled and popped mine. Wrestling would have been required otherwise on my particular Cappies.

Thanks for the info... could you pop them back on to the legs, or did you have to soften the feet again?

Last edited by digby on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ben C.

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:06 pm

digby wrote:
I'm a bass player ... and for no really good reason back in the late 90s the Epiphone Viola basses used to "bother" me. Well, no real reason except for them not being Hofners!

Totally - I can believe it!

digby wrote:
Just remembered, he played a red SG in "Helll Bent" ... might have even been the epiphone version?

Epiphone 1966 G-400 Pro with aftermarket Bigsby. heck, a Gibson SG in cherry would do - close enough Smile . Good idea - I'll keep an eye out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2703
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:24 pm

digby wrote:
pixletwin wrote:
Ben C. wrote:
digby wrote:
No boiling needed!

Thanks for the info... could you poop them back on to the legs, or did you have to soften the feet again?

Since I had to boil the feet on the smaller Cappies as well everything was nice and soft taking off and popping back on. I only had to stick each one in the water for about 15 seconds and pop off. However, I never needed to do a second dip to get them back on (if I am following you all right).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
digby

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:22 pm

pixletwin wrote:
digby wrote:
pixletwin wrote:
Ben C. wrote:
digby wrote:
No boiling needed!

Thanks for the info... could you poop them back on to the legs, or did you have to soften the feet again?

Since I had to boil the feet on the smaller Cappies as well everything was nice and soft taking off and popping back on. I only had to stick each one in the water for about 15 seconds and pop off. However, I never needed to do a second dip to get them back on (if I am following you all right).

Yep, I get what you're describing, thanks for the extra info!
Ben C said he could pull of his without boiling, I guess I when I get my own I'll see how safe I feel!
Back to top Go down
digby

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Ben C. wrote:
digby wrote:

Totally - I can believe it!

digby wrote:

Epiphone 1966 G-400 Pro with aftermarket Bigsby. heck, a Gibson SG in cherry would do - close enough Smile . Good idea - I'll keep an eye out!

Woa ... could you tell that just from seeing it in the episode or did you look it up?!!
And totally off topic, I had a friend who played one of those "John Lennon" re-issued black Ricks with the gold hardware, and he put on an aftermarket Bigsby. But he didn't connect it to where it could affect the strings, he instead used it to counterbalance the extremely heavy headstock!

Anyway, glad to help. I might look for a tiny red SG as well in future, might be easier to come by for capaldi.

Back to top Go down
Ben C.

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:49 am

digby wrote:

Woa ... could you tell that just from seeing it in the episode or did you look it up?!!
And totally off topic, I had a friend who played one of those "John Lennon" re-issued black Ricks with the gold hardware, and he put on an aftermarket Bigsby. But he didn't connect it to where it could affect the strings, he instead used it to counterbalance the extremely heavy headstock!

Anyway, glad to help. I might look for a tiny red SG as well in future, might be easier to come by for capaldi.

A mixture of both Smile - In the episode you can see it says 'Epiphone' on the headstock (and it's the larger Epi headstock), and the truss rod cover says "SG PRO". Plug those into the internet and there ya go! And that's awesome about the Rick - that's one way to have those darn things balance right! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
digby

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 am

Ben C. wrote:
digby wrote:

A mixture of both Smile - In the episode you can see it says 'Epiphone' on the headstock (and it's the larger Epi headstock), and the truss rod cover says "SG PRO". Plug those into the internet and there ya go! And that's awesome about the Rick - that's one way to have those darn things balance right! Very Happy

That's amazing! I notice stuff like that too ... usually I can't help but see the brand name of an amp or what's on the headstock if there's ever a "music" scene in a movie or a TV show. This is how insane I am ---- it bugs me that McCoy is hugging an obvious Squier strat in "Delta and the Bannermen", and not a 1950s Fender!

As I recall, I watched Helll Bent on my iphone, so I probably missed some of the clues!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6167
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:03 pm

I got my checked trousers 12 today from WhoNA, and I gotta say he might be my fave 12 figure yet...!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
djdwtw101785

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:30 pm

I got all 3 the other week
I been posting pics on my instagram @danschmeichel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
digby

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:05 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
I got my checked trousers 12 today from WhoNA, and I gotta say he might be my fave 12 figure yet...!!
]

Wait, WhoNA had these for sale? Did I miss them?
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6167
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:19 pm

Yeah...they got a small number of this and the 10th Doc in tux on Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
digby

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:52 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Yeah...they got a small number of this and the 10th Doc in tux on Tuesday.

crap
Back to top Go down
Blackarrow

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:18 pm

I just received my checked trousers 12th Doctor from WhoNA today, and I have to agree with digby regarding Too Tall Capaldi: Those clown feet have gotta go!

But I do love everything else about the figure, he looks great!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall   Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:12 pm

These are really tall figures. I tried to pop the feets off, but I couldn't get them. Maybe I am just a girly man, as Ahnold says. I will try again this weekend with boil and pop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Capaldi hoodie figures are freaking tall
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Product Discussion :: Toys & Releases-
Jump to: