Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Thun

Number of posts : 1231
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:08 pm

Is it just me, or does this figure look even less like Capaldi?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rogue

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:38 pm

I don't mind seeing the variant, especially if they're released at the same time, people can choose one or both. I'm one that will probably get both Wink

I wonder what got canceled?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheOther

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2016-06-21

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:59 pm

Yeah, it's weird. People asked after UT announced a figure was cancelled but they seemed to ignore those questions at least last I checked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:31 pm

UT runs like the U S government you cant get a straight answer out of any one there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheOther

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:39 pm

The person running it earlier was being fairly clear about a lot though to be fair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:54 pm

Yes but they drive every one up the wall with the constant delays, announcement's, cancellations and so on and so on.

So what exactly has been cancelled 5-5 wise this time I guess I missed it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheOther

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:10 pm

Well, they haven't said yet actually. Odd though, sounded so close to manufacturing then it just gets cancelled. I had thought they already started making them actually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:15 pm

Thanks for the update but that's my point they didn't actually say what was cancelled.

And I take it that the 3-5 line is having some teething troubles as well now? I thought that was there answer to practically killing the 5-5 line?

Granted I did not purchase any 3-5 figures
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IHatePears

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:53 am

Hi, I don't post here often but I just wanted to throw my two sense out there for what it's worth:
I know it's probably an 'over with, done with' conversation but I couldn't help but note the new companion (spoilers for those who don't want that)

https://twitter.com/Pearlie_mack/status/780534249975930880

tweeted this a while back, perhaps the cancelled figure was hers and the company figured it was better to wait till later?

Also on another note: does anyone have any idea when this may be coming out? I'd love to get this and the missy figure, I haven't bought any twelves (or any figures in general lately).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3863
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:01 pm

I heard they cancelled a figure of one of those kids from CLASS.

I think it's a rumor. Why would they even consider toys of that show when we still don't have Yeti, Draconian or Jamie?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheOther

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:32 pm

Yeah, I doubt that's be the case. Class is too new and they wouldn't be able to gauge the popularity of the show, get the license, and get the figure planned, prototyped, and such in such a brief time after it started.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3863
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Yeah, fans are calling Class "the worst sort of fan-made Wilderness Years straight to video style show". I don't think there will be toys.

affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheOther

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Regadless, I plan on watching it when it airs around here mainly because it sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skifflebits

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2015-12-02

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:38 pm

Most of the online reviews I've seen have said "Class" is pretty good. Maybe not astounding, but not horrible, either.

But back on topic: I don't suppose UT has hinted at when these figures will be released, have they? In time for Christmas? Or not until the new season airs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2158
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:08 pm

February 2017 is the hint. And they were looking for an American exclusive distributor before offering them to everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:53 pm

What is it with everything Doctor Who going to an exclusive retailer these days. Perhaps I a m over reacting so please tell me. CO wants to do figures that way, Eaglemoss is trying to do the same thing with there figurines . BBC World Wide America's is doing it with Power of the Daleks on DVD. Big Finish is now holding back its releases to force those who must have it today to get it from them.

It just seems to me like exclusives are getting out of control these days

Rant Over Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skifflebits

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:55 pm

Yeah, from a customer's perspective, it's a real pain.

I guess there must be some financial incentive on UT's part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Well the rocket scientists and Pentagon Bright Boys at UT killed the 5-5 line cause kids wanted smaller figures (if I remember correctly). Now the 3-75 line went down faster than the Titanic and that was supposedly the future of Dr. Who figures based on there panel of "experts" from what I remember reading 2 or 3 years back.

I don't know why they even bother any more. Milk as much out of the same figures we have had since 2009 or so. I cant see how this company stays in business with an out put of zero (Dr. Who wise).
Why not recycle the Primeval line, perhaps they could get some more 5-5 figures from that if they redress them as UNIT soldiers.

Better yet make a deal with Borders and put a "new" figure in with every Power of the Daleks DVD purchased "in person" at a brick and mortar store just make it more unique
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skifflebits

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Bob1963 wrote:
 I cant see how this company stays in business with an out put of zero (Dr. Who wise).

Because they have other, more popular toy lines.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:10 pm

I have no idea of what there other out put is. I remember they had some other stuff on there web site but have not looked there in years.

Well if they don't need the Dr. Who line and don't want to invest any more cash in then I say to them let it die
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skifflebits

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:25 pm

Character Options makes a line of Peppa Pig toys that apparently sell millions world wide.  Among other things.

It's not about what CO wants to invest in the line, it's about what they can get retailers to pre-order so they can have the actual money to invest in the line.  

I'm sure if retailers wanted millions of Doctor Who toys, CO would be more than happy to oblige.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:36 pm

"I'm sure if retailers wanted millions of Doctor Who toys, CO would be more than happy to oblige]

Fair point, I guess its time for them to get out of the sci fi toy business.  They let Primeval pass on, now let Dr. Who go and give some one else a chance at it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skifflebits

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:22 am

Yeah, I would agree with that sentiment, except I'm afraid the next company that takes a whack at it would probably start a whole new scale.  They'd want all the collectors to have to "start over" rather than releasing, say, yet another 5" Davison figure.  So it's more than likely whoever takes over would make figures completely incompatible with the ones we have.

But hey, you never know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:01 pm

My biggest fear is not the scale that they will use but that they will decide to release the exact same figures already on the market
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SirPrize

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: 5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice   Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:22 pm

Bob1963 wrote:
"I'm sure if retailers wanted millions of Doctor Who toys, CO would be more than happy to oblige]

Fair point, I guess its time for them to get out of the sci fi toy business.  They let Primeval pass on, now let Dr. Who go and give some one else a chance at it.

The last series of Primeval toys was never released because retailers didn't want it. Then the licence lapsed and no toy company was interested it taking over.

I'm pretty sure that the day that CO decides not to renew the licence, that will be it for Doctor Who toys for a few years at least. We have to start accepting the fact that the Doctor Who toys success days have been over for a few years already. The reason why retailers have stopped selling Doctor Who toys is because they don't sell as well as they used to, not because CO doesn't want to sell them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

5.5 inch 12th Doctor from Magicians apprentice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Product Discussion :: Toys & Releases-
Jump to: