Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Power of the Daleks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:01 am

:O. Great stuff. Definitely gonna buy this on dvd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheOther

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2016-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:03 am

Yeah, I'll definitely get it either on DVD or iTunes. Depends on prices and what each has though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2158
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:11 pm

I did get to see Power at my local theater last night.  Good fun, although I usually don't watch a 6 part serial all in one sitting.  Hopefully R1 will get a Blu-Ray release next February and I'll be able to space out the episodes over a week.

I did spend a bit of time trying to figure out the cliffhangers. The theaters showed a "movie version" and it's been 10 or 12 years since I last watched the recon so I was trying to remember the breaks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Gene Lantern

Number of posts : 1001
Registration date : 2013-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:27 pm

squishy wrote:
I did get to see Power at my local theater last night.  Good fun, although I usually don't watch a 6 part serial all in one sitting.  Hopefully R1 will get a Blu-Ray release next February and I'll be able to space out the episodes over a week.

I did spend a bit of time trying to figure out the cliffhangers.  The theaters showed a "movie version" and it's been 10 or 12 years since I last watched the recon so I was trying to remember the breaks.

Yeah, VERY disappointed that it was shown in movie format. HATED that when my PBS station would show classic Who that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scifijapan.com/forum/index.php
squishy

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:03 pm

The Gene Lantern wrote:
Yeah, VERY disappointed that it was shown in movie format.  HATED that when my PBS station would show classic Who that way.

Normally I'd hate that as well, but it was a very long time sitting in that movie seat.  Losing 5 episodes worth of credits and overlapping footage should have cut nearly 20 minutes off the run time last night.  I guess I'm happy to have seen the movie version once, but I'll agree that the DVD/Blu release had better be episodic.  

And it did leave time to see one of the new bonus features produced by Paul Vanezis.  The bonus feature wasn't spectacular, but between Mark Ayres' audio and this feature it at least means that someone is commissioning the old Restoration Team/DVD Special Features people to work on these projects.  I was afraid there would either be no special features like Web of Fear and Enemy of the World or else BBC America would get some fringe comedians/"internet-famous" nerds to put together special features.  I've seen some of those BBC America original productions and I swear I don't know any of those people they get.  Are they all Canadian?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheOther

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:24 pm

I agree on the episodes being edited together. Sometimes if I even watch just 2 episodes back to back the cliffhanger seems too long and it's a tad annoying. The movie version helped with that a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:10 pm

I was really surprised how tight and exciting it was. Long animations can be kind of sleep inducing sometimes, but I was rapt the entire time. I think the movie version was well suited for the cinema, but I too hope that the DVD has the more traditional 6-episode format.

I cant wait for it's DVD release, so I can watch it over and over again. It was flippin' brilliant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Thought I'd cross-post this from the new release thread...

Who North America wrote:
Power of the Daleks: January 31, 2017

The newly animated Classic Doctor Who story, not seen in 50 years, comes to DVD 1/31/17!  
Lost since its premiere on the BBC 50 years ago, the full six-part story of The Power of the Daleks has now been meticulously animated based on the original audio, photographs and surviving film clips. One of the most celebrated Doctor Who stories of all time; this six-part adventure finds the newly regenerated Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton) and his companions Polly (Anneke Wills) and Ben (Michael Craze) on the planet Vulcan battling his oldest and most dreaded foe - the Daleks.  
WHV Logo  Lost since its premiere 50 years ago, this fan-favorite Classic Who story has been newly and meticulously animated based on the original audio, photographs and surviving film clips!  

Release features both the black & white and color versions  

Bonus features include Commentary, Servants and Masters - the making of the Power of the Daleks, Surviving footage from the original episode, the original trailer, and more!

...can't wait cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
thedoctor

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:21 pm

google play shows a 11/20 release?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:35 pm

The region 2 DVD that I ordered is scheduled to be released about that time and Amazon UK will ship out at this time. Fortunately for me the US Dollar has gained against the U K Pound. I picked up the Series 9 Blue Ray set from Amazon UK for $24.09 early this morning far cheaper than anything I have seen any where.

So now its a battle for which DVDs arrive First Power of the Daleks (R2), Series 9 BD or the Lost in Space Blue Ray of the complete series
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedoctor

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:24 am

Just saw ep. 1 fantastic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:15 pm

Apparently its flying of the shelf's in stores in the UK
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheOther

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:16 pm

Maybe it will even outdo Web of Fear in sales?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:07 pm

I would not be surprised if that happens followed by an announcement of a special edition of The Web of Fear with an animated episode 3 and a full set of extras
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:19 pm

I would rather that the success of this release will perhaps spark an animation reconstruction along with surviving episodes to complete The Evil of the Daleks and/or The Wheel in Space, since they feature Daleks and Cybermen respectively and those adversaries are well known and always sell well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:24 pm

WOF 3 would be easy one episode and the DVD extras would not be that hard or that expensive. . .

How ever I am all for full scale animations of the missing story's, Evil of the Daleks and Wheel in Space would be great candidate's but I think we also need The Faceless Ones as Evil begins on a cliff hanger.

So we need these DVDs in R2 land to sell massively and BBC America needs to get good results ratings wise as well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:13 pm

But Web of Fear episode 3 does exist. Merely stolen between the time it was discovered and the time the local authorities released the film canisters. Hopefully it's out there and will be returned by a kind collector and then we'll get our special edition with all the proper bonus features.

I agree that I'd rather see Evil of the Daleks or Wheel in Space. Or really any of the missing stories get the same animation treatment as Power of the Daleks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:18 pm

Any new animations would be welcome. . . . Its just that from a business stand point 2 episodes of The Underwater Menace, The Crusades and 1 episode of The Web of Fear would be a way to jump start the DVD range again.

Keep in mind BBC America co funded this little endeavor so I hope there ratings are good so they want to do more.

And I to hope to see the proper Web of Fear 3 back in all its glory
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Bob1963 wrote:
Its just that from a business stand point 2 episodes of The Underwater Menace, The Crusades and 1 episode of The Web of Fear would be a way to jump start the DVD range again.

Actually, in my opinion, it makes more business sense to issue NEW titles rather than re-release two of the last three releases (not counting Power just yet) if you want to jump start the line.

...not that I don't want to see Underwater Menace or Web of Fear completed, because I do...I just think its too soon for a "Revisitation" reissue for either of them if given a hypothetical choice of completing them or making a new "Lost Story."

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Fair point

But if they continue the animations you want it to be one that will sell well but you also don't want them to get into the mentality that only Daleks and Cybermen will sell.

It would be great to see some of the story's where no episodes exist (The Savages, Macra Terror and Fury from the Deep to name 3)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:33 pm

and today my R2 DVD of Power of the Daleks finally arrived from AMAZON UK, looking to watch some of it tonight after work (Midnight)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:46 am

I'm watching the color version on BBC America right now...and it looks fantastic!!!

Now I'm even more excited to get the DVD!!  cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Power of the Daleks?   Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:09 pm

...and its HERE!!!

...settled in to watch it all now...starting with the color version with the audio commentary...

A couple of side notes...

* Both the color and black and white versions can be played with the commentary, are widescreened, and are presented as 6 episodes, not the movie version.  

* The paper cover insert does not match in any way the packaging of the other DVDs in the classic range...front, back, or spine.  

* In addition, many product descriptions mention a booklet featuring production notes, however the R1 DVD does not have this...nor are there production subtitles like most of the classic DVD range usually have.

...however...its still a fantastic release and I'm ecstatic to be able to own and enjoy it!! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Power of the Daleks?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Product Discussion :: DVDs & Multimedia-
Jump to: