Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Doctor Who Spin Off: Class

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ianotimelord

Number of posts : 1447
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:26 pm

BBC Three announces Doctor Who Spin Off

BBC Three today announces Class - a new 8 x 45 minute Doctor Who spin off from the acclaimed YA author, Patrick Ness. Class is a YA series set in contemporary London. Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected. With all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Hunger Games), this is Coal Hill School and Doctor Who like youve never seen them before.

Steven Moffat says, No one has documented the dark and exhilarating world of the teenager like Patrick Ness, and now we're bringing his brilliant story-telling into Doctor Who. This is growing up in modern Britain - but with monsters!

On his first television series, writer Patrick Ness says, "I'm astounded and thrilled to be entering the Doctor Who universe, which is as vast as time and space itself. There's so much room there for all kinds of amazing stories, and to work with Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin to find a place to tell one of my own has been an absolute joy. I can't wait for people to meet the heroes of Class, to meet the all-new villains and aliens, to remember that the horrors of the darkest corners of existence are just about on par with having to pass your A-Levels."

Damian Kavanagh, Controller BBC Three adds, Were excited to give Patrick Ness this opportunity to work with us at BBC Three and the Doctor Who family. Patrick understands young audiences and Im delighted he will use his incredible skills as a storyteller to delight audiences on BBC Three. BBC Three will always innovate and offer opportunities for brilliant new talent."

Polly Hill, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning, adds, I am thrilled that Patrick Ness is writing his first drama series for BBC Three. The combination of Patrick and Steven Moffat, is an exciting partnership that has created a brilliant Doctor Who spin off for our BBC Three audience.

Class is executive produced by Steven Moffatt, Patrick Ness and Brian Minchin. It was commissioned by Damian Kavanagh, Controller BBC Three and Polly Hill, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning.

An 8 x 45 minute series produced by BBC Cymru Wales in association with BBC Worldwide for BBC Three.

The series will film in and around Wales from Spring, 2016 and be on air next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com/
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Well, I'll see what the trailers and everything are like, but I can't say it holds a ton of appeal to me as a concept.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5982
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Sleep

blahhhh
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:57 pm

I'm willing to wait and give this a chance. The idea of a children's show starring a former companion and her kids may not have sounded like dynamite, but I enjoyed the Sarah Jane Adventures. More people died than I thought for a show geared at real little kids. Even the K-9 series got better at the very, very end when they let Bob Baker write the finale.

A series geared at teens could be very silly or it could be very dark and scary. I've not heard of this writer but I'd like to know a little more about the intent of the show and the casting before I give up on it. If it ends up being the Ian Chesterson show at Coal Hill School I'd likely watch the whole series no matter how bad the rest of the cast could be!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:03 am

I say writing makes or breaks any series but........I'm not holding me breath.

Teens on earth fighting monsters as a Doctor Who spinoff?They are just trying to capitalize off the Who brand for a Twilight/Hunger Games audience.

Here's 5 better Doctor Who spinoff ideas

1.Galifrey-Drama set on the Doctor's home world showcasing different aspects and characters of the planet pre Time War.
2.Out of Time-Adventure/Comedy starring the Doctor's daughter Jenny off on her own discovering the Universe.
3.The Master-Action/Drama about the Master's evil doings throughout time and space.Plotting and scheming with his own companions.
4.Doctor Who 1852-In Victorian England Jackson Lake has retained his memories of being the Doctor and uses his knowledge to fight the nefarious crimes of the Age.Along with Rosita and his son they will save the Empire and the world one way or another.
5.I,Morbius-The story of Galifrey's greatest conqueror.His rise to power and destruction by the Time Lords themselves.

But of you want to cheap out like the BBC and do a contemporary show set on Earth then call it Class and fill it with teens
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:26 am

I just hope that annoying girl from Series 8 isn't in it. Also the BBC are scraping BBC 3, planning to move it online. Anyway looks like a former companion is returning.

Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:27 am

With the rumours that we won't get a full series next year I wonder if this is why.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:39 am

LOL Tegan? Fail!

Just get Peter,Paul,Colin,and Sylvester and do a new Saved By The Cloister Bell show.Time Lord High School.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:20 pm

Ianotimelord wrote:
With the rumours that we won't get a full series next year I wonder if this is why.

I thought Capaldi wanted more time off to work on other projects and not just Who for 3 years straight. I think we're getting this because the main series actors and producers don't want to do a series in 2016. There was a "who-hole" in the schedule and somebody asked if they could have a stab at filling the void.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:04 pm

Ok so

IF THE PRODUCERS AND THE LEAD ACTORS DON'T WANT TO DO THE darn SHOW THEN GET THE heck OUT AND LET PEOPLE THAT WANT TO BE THERE AND DO A MUCH BETTER JOB TAKE OVER!!!!

I MEAN REALLY,WHAT THE heck!?!?

Instead we have to suffer poor spinoffs and actors leaving too early.The BBC shouldn't hire anyone unless they can get a 5 year minimum from them as the Doctor.And Capaldi was supposedly a super fan at one time.Craziness!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:18 pm

I laughed hysterically when I heard. I'm giggling now thinking about it. It's just so stupid. Did they really expect us to get excited about crappy school children?! lol! We want an 8th Doctor series, we want a Time War series, we want something actually significant to the world of Doctor Who... Not bloomin' children... Wow... Just wow... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:16 pm

BBC = Too cheap to prodruce Doctor Who the way it deserves to be done.

I will hold on till Doctor 12 is done with his run and call it done unless there is some grand resurrection by new producers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:44 pm

School on Saturday. Razz

What about a series with Jenny and Romana traveling in their own TARDIS?

What about an 8th Doctor miniseries?

What about....ANYTHING more interesting than a bunch of kids at the Coal Hill School?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:32 pm

We don't even get a Tardis for Missy!

WTF!?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thun

Number of posts : 1228
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:18 pm

If it's that awful bunch of kids from Series 8 - FAIL!!

Seriously, I loved the Sarah Jane Adventures (it was frikkin' Sarah Jane!! It could only be good!). Luke, Clyde, Maria, and Rani were likable and interesting, and the show was made by Russell T. Davies, the man who knows how to make Doctor Who.

It's hard for me to get excited about Who since Moffatt took over. A spin-off he's associated with only generates nausea.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:28 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:29 pm

I actually did not hate the first two episode. It has far more in common with Torchwood that Sarah Jane Adventures. This could have great potential for some really creepy stories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

Number of posts : 603

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who Spin Off: Class   Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:22 pm

Far too "PC"for me. Dr Who meets Glee...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Doctor Who Spin Off: Class
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Spin Offs & Crossovers-
Jump to: