Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Rate S9E2: The Witch's Familiar
AWESOME!
50%
 50% [ 12 ]
Good!
25%
 25% [ 6 ]
Okay...
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Bad!
8%
 8% [ 2 ]
AWFUL!
17%
 17% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

AuthorMessage
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:31 pm

The next time trailer looks great! Very Happy

Last edited by Scary on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:01 am

He won't do it!He doesn't have the stones.Self rightous bastard.

Someone call Rassilon or Romana.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:18 am

Davros's comment "To hold in your hand" definitely hearkens back to Genesis of the Daleks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Good episode. SO much better than the first episode!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:59 pm

I agree. Much better than part one. I liked that Missy actually tried to poke his eye out. Smile

I thought that Missy and Clara were exterminated in part one and that some time travel would incur to bring them back. The fact that we saw their skeletons as they were shot really implied as much. It was a real cheat, like 40's serials kind of cheat, that teleportation was involved.

I liked that the Skaro architecture matched the old series. I was disappointed that we didn't hear the old series door sound effects though. And it wasn't `essplained why the planet Skaro was back.

Did it seem to anyone else that the "old" daleks looked CGI? I don't mean the ones flying around the city, I mean the ones in the main base area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:20 pm

For the first time in a long time, I enjoyed a part 2 more than a part 1!! And yes, I did feel sorry for Davros... Sad for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:23 pm

Krynoid wrote:

Did it seem to anyone else that the "old" daleks looked CGI? I don't mean the ones flying around the city, I mean the ones in the main base area.

Some times, it did. But I was so happy to keep seeing the old Daleks, I didn't care! It may be because we are always used to seeing the old ones as beat up props and not new and clean. Do we know if these are fan built Daleks or what?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:29 pm

I didn't mind if they were or weren't, just curious. If so, I'm surprised they didn't have access to the real things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redfern

Number of posts : 1203
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:51 pm

Observation about Davros' condition:

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mzzkiti.com
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:18 am

ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!!!

I can honestly say this episode was CRAP since the Crap of the Daleks is what was used against them.
Other than the prospect of Davros being healed by the regeneration energy and becoming THE Hybrid of Timelord Prophecy there was nothing good in this episode at all.

10 reasons why it sucked bad

1.The dumb story of the Doctor escaping death with the teleporter by Missy to explain how they escaped too.
2.The idea of the Dalek sewers being alive and basically having the Crap attack the Daleks at the end.
3.Colony Sarrf(worst name ever)
4.The Tardis being destroyed supposedly and brought back like nothing using the new sunglasses?!?!
5.The Doctor giving up regeneration energy to DAVROS!?!? Or at all,so he can use it whenever he wants?
6.Davros opening his real eyes!After countless years of them being all decayed and gone he just opens them up and starts crying?I could see it after the regeneration energy but not before!
7.Missy's involvement was absolutely pointless and predictable to her turning at the end with no resolution.
8.The sunglasses as the new sonic screwdriver is LAME.The movie THEY LIVE was genius with sunglasses,
this wasn't.
9.All he had to do was take kid Davros off Skaro and have him raised somewhere else instead.I'm sure a change in environment would affect his mindset and future greatly.
10.Why did the Doctor tell Davros that Galifrey and the Timelords were back somewhere.MORON!
11.Steven Moffat is a Waffle!Waffle!Waffle!WAFFLE!

I can see now 100% that there will be no redemption for the show as long as he's showrunner.He is devoid of good storytelling involving historic Who characters.He truly is the Doctor's greatest enemy.

Very sad and a waste of Old School Daleks,Skaro,Davros,and the Master.

The Daleks Ate Crap and Died,WTF?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KIRKESS

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:24 am

I wonder if River Song knows about Davros. After all, in The Big Bang, a Dalek pleaded for mercy.  Suspect

Another River Song arc?? confused  cheers  affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:29 am

See they don't even remember their old scripts.Crap!💩
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:32 am

The new Daleks 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩Exterminate!Exterminate!Excrement!!!!💩💩💩
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:15 am

This was a lot more coherent than part 1.
I loved Clara being Missy's companion.
Vampire monkeys!
The show has yet to justify why wiping out the Daleks would be a bad thing for the cosmos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:27 am

GREAT episode!

I loved all the Doctor/Davros scenes! I liked all the lines regarding why the Doctor ran away from Gallifrey, etc. I loved getting to know Davros a bit more, and I felt sorry for him when he was being more human... I expected that it was a trap though. Yes, the Doctor's compassion and mercy in that context put him in danger and strengthened the Daleks, but I liked that the overall message was compassion over selfishness. I liked that it turned out both the Doctor and Missy knew what they were doing.

Missy was great, yet again. There were quite a few scenes where I giggled out loud at her lines and mannerisms. I'm glad that she wasn't totally lighthearted though and there was that scene at the end where she turns on Clara. Very evil. She really was being quite abusive to Clara emotionally. Being put through that must have been terrifying. It's enjoyable to see Missy do her thing, both when it's funny and when it's evil.

Very good episode, and for once I enjoyed the second part even more than the first! And I really enjoyed last week's episode, too, so that's saying something. Great story. It will probably go down as one of my favourite Capaldi stories, and definitely be one that I rewatch in the future! Very Happy

4/5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D84

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:47 am

Brain of Davros wrote:
ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!!!

I can honestly say this episode was CRAP since the Crap of the Daleks is what was used against them.
Other than the prospect of Davros being healed by the regeneration energy and becoming THE Hybrid of Timelord Prophecy there was nothing good in this episode at all.

1.The dumb story of the Doctor escaping death with the teleporter by Missy to explain how they escaped too.
2.The idea of the Dalek sewers being alive and basically having the Crap attack the Daleks at the end.
4.The Tardis being destroyed supposedly and brought back like nothing using the new sunglasses?!?!
5.The Doctor giving up regeneration energy to DAVROS!?!? Or at all,so he can use it whenever he wants?
6.Davros opening his real eyes!After countless years of them being all decayed and gone he just opens them up and starts crying?I could see it after the regeneration energy but not before!
7.Missy's involvement was absolutely pointless and predictable to her turning at the end with no resolution.
8.The sunglasses as the new sonic screwdriver is LAME.The movie THEY LIVE was genius with sunglasses,
this wasn't.
9.All he had to do was take kid Davros off Skaro and have him raised somewhere else instead.I'm sure a change in environment would affect his mindset and future greatly.
10.Why did the Doctor tell Davros that Galifrey and the Timelords were back somewhere.MORON!

I can see now 100% that there will be no redemption for the show as long as he's showrunner.He is devoid of good storytelling involving historic Who characters.He truly is the Doctor's greatest enemy.

That's pretty much what I thought. The show has become too Harry Potter with it's sonic screwdriver that solves the episode and now... MAGIC SUNGLASSES!

On the plus side, they have lightened up Peter Capaldi's Doctor so he's not the jerk he was last series. So far, he hasn't said his catch phrase of "shut up" once.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:54 am

Brain of Davros wrote:
ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!!!

It may have not been terribly original, but it was done in the style of new Dr Who. Tongue in cheek.

Quote :

It wasn't crap, that's our word. It was a kinda lame resolution though.

Quote :

Well he is a bunch of snakes. Snakes probably like the name.

Quote :

See Dr #2 story Krotons. The TARDIS wasn't destroyed. All the glasses did (so far) was act as a remote control to bring it back, hardly far-fetched.

Quote :

I have no issue with him sharing but I do think it "undoctorwholike" that he can. Unless he's different now after Trenzalore.

Quote :

I agree with this one 100%.

Quote :

Agree here too.

Quote :
this wasn't.

I'm sure that some kids in the 60s thought the sonic screwdriver was lame, it has to grow on you. But how one will be able to aim the glasses at something, I don't know. They'll probably get broken rather quickly...

As for THEY LIVE, genius is a bit much, they were just "polarized" glasses.

Quote :

Maybe he did try to take him elsewhere, maybe Davros refused, maybe he came back, maybe, maybe, maybe...

Quote :

Caught in the moment, needed to brag? It happens to us all. We tend to say things out of spite that we regret saying.

Quote :

Hey, leggo of my eggo!

Quote :
I can see now 100% that there will be no redemption for the show as long as he's showrunner. He is devoid of good storytelling involving historic Who characters.He truly is the Doctor's greatest enemy.

I don't think he's devoid but he does have a vision for the show that seems to be different from classic fans idea of the show. From a TV Exec's point of view, it's better now than ever and that's what keeps it on the air. Unfortunately, I am a classic fan...

Quote :

Sure was, but then it usually is. Look at Asylum...the only time in the new show where Daleks acted as tough as their reputation was the series 1 Dalek story.

Quote :

It wasn't crap, that's our word. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Krynoid wrote:
Quote :

I have no issue with him sharing but I do think it "undoctorwholike" that he can. Unless he's different now after Trenzalore.

He did it in 'Rise of the Cybermen', River did it in 'Let's Kill Hitler', and the Time Lords did it in 'Time of the Doctor'. It's nothing new.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Scary wrote:
Krynoid wrote:
Quote :

He did it in 'Rise of the Cybermen', River did it in 'Let's Kill Hitler', and the Time Lords did it in 'Time of the Doctor'. It's nothing new.

Yeah, it's been done before, that doesn't make it alright. All your examples are NuWho, most of which is "undoctorwholike"

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Always look on the bright side of life duh dum duh duh dum duh dum duh duh duh dum........😃

Polarized sunglasses can save your life,put them on😎

And yes I agree as a Classic Who fan that we have been spoiled for greatness but why does this nuwho try to be so darn comical?It takes away from making anything a serious threat anymore.

Alas I'll wait out the season before my final judgement but if you can't do well with Daleks,Davros,or the Master what can you do with Ghosts 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

BTW who else thought that Clara becoming a Dalek again would have worked well with her dying again as one like in Asylum?I mean she is supposed to be leaving this time right?RIGHT? afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Well, the classic series got funny too...remember the Douglas Adams' ones? Some of the best writing on the show! But more importantly, they also contained adversity.

I find that that is the problem with a lot of movies/TV shows these days; the hero has no fear of losing. Look at that fiasco of an Indiana Jones sequel. The scene where the son is supposedly fighting for his life, sword-fighting with Cate Blanchett, instead of concern with her son possibly dying, the mother says "footwork". If they don't think they're in danger, how can the audience?!?!!?!? (I won't even mention the aliens).

This is/was the issue with Clara and Amy. They are too confident. If they have no fear, we have no interest in their outcome. At least Clara looked worried while encased in the Dalek.

I think there's more possibility of telling better stories without Timelords, Daleks, etc. I find that the current writers rely too much on the reputation of the monster carrying the story rather than the story carrying the story. I don't wanna hear about the Last Timelord, the Last Dalek, the Final Master, I just want a good stand-alone yarn. Like what Blink was before the Weeping Angels got over used.
And for the love of all that's holy, enough with the series-long arcs! They never pay off at the end!

And yes, I did like the irony of Clara possibly (ya right) dying inside the casing of a Dalek.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:19 pm

NuWho isn't perfect, and it certainly isn't Classic Who, but I have to disagree that it's 'undoctorwho'. I think we just need to enjoy it for what it is instead of cursing the skies every week because it's not Barry Letts running the place anymore.

I agree though, the constant need for things to be funny really kills the potential of the show. I do enjoy a lot of the gags, especially in this story, but I and a lot of my friends have been longing for a while for a story that is more serious and grounded. I think that's why I enjoyed Series 8 so much and am loving the 12th Doctor - it's still quite far off 'perfect' but it's so much better than Matt Smith stories...

I do agree about story-arcs as well. I'm not interested anymore. Just really good stand-alone stories would be so welcome. Especially now that stories and ideas and concepts can really be explored in two-parters. Well, I say "really explored," what I mean is a lot better than what you can do in 45 minutes.

Nonetheless, I can find enjoyment in the show regardless. So long as it isn't awful like some episodes in Series 7B... I don't know, maybe I'm just more glass-half-full than half-empty, but I like where NuWho is at right now and I think it's a massive improvement from previously. It really could be a lot worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:05 pm

It could be worse?Like Candyman worse or Forest of the Night worse?Hmmm I guess we'll see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:31 pm

A BIG THANK YOU TO MISSY

Thank you Missy.

For giving Clara the Time Lady Treatment.  When she tied Clara upside on a tree limb i yelled that makes up for Season 8 part 1 !!!After how bad Clara was in Season 8 I thought when missy pushed off the ledge I was Clapping.  

I agree she was a little over the top but it was funny.

OH MISSY YOU SO FINE !!!

Coming Soon to WHONA Sonic Sunglasses 59.99 by foster Grant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Things can be a lot worse.....Zarbi bad or Gunfighters or Sunmakers or dozens of other bad Doctor Who episodes.  In fact, most of the audience today thinks they are all garbage.  I struggle to get NuWho fans on my staff to watch and enjoy the old show.  When I cosplay the 5th Doctor, I don't get recognized nearly as often as those who do 11 or 10.   NuWHo is made for them, and the fans of the "classics", well, we can either enjoy it for the totally different type of show it is(like I do) or go watch DVDs (which I also do)!
 We all look back with nostalgia, and cringe if the new version of the show is so different or we don't enjoy the stories as much.  There have been some episodes the past year that I won't re-watch often, but there been a lot that I will enjoy multiple times.  But I enjoy Delta and the Bannermen.   I am at the point where I don't care what others think of episodes, I enjoy what I enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)   Today at 3:51 pm

Back to top Go down

S9E2: The Witch's Familiar (MAJOR SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: