Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Violence and current events

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Violence and current events   Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:32 am

So, I was re-watching an episode of Star Wars Rebels, and they had a scene that reminded me of something. There was a beheading in Robot of Sherwood that was cut out due to similarities with real events, namely the sub-human animals in ISIS. It was considered a pro-active approach to avoid controversy, and I understand it, even if I don't 100% agree.

The most recent episode of Rebels features a scene where two characters are decapitated simultaneously. They are not robots like in Who, but fully human. The shot cuts away and we don't SEE their heads getting cut off, but it is strongly implied.

What do you guys think? Where should the line of self-censorship be drawn? Myself as a single person with no children, I can handle pretty much anything on Who as far as graphic violence or scariness. Years of SAW movies and Rob Zombie films have dulled my senses as far as offensiveness goes. So specifically those of you with children, I ask: How offensive is Who? How offensive SHOULD it get? Should it always have an edge to it? How scary would it have to be before you shut it off and told your kids 'no'?

I guess I've never felt it was an issue before, but with the Sherwood thing, and hearing aboot complaints re: the season finale being too morbid, I just wanted to see where everyone stood. I know it's an old subject, but I am waxing philosophical on a late night work shift. Thanks for your time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Number of posts : 9506
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Violence and current events   Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:30 pm

Well, Jango Fett, Count Dooku and Ned Stark don't offend me. They are fictional. But watching The Tudors, those people were real and that upset me a bit. But this other crap really offends and disgusts me. But at least now it appears others in the area may have become offend and are trying to clean up their own back yard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Violence and current events   Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:51 pm

I can't say, off the top of my head, that Who has ever crossed the line as far as what I would let my kids watch.

Now, I can't stand gore movies. Like Hitchcck, I don't feel it's eve necessary to show... but I've watched a bit of Japanese TV and it's not uncommon, even in kid's shows, to have death, even of a main character... but it's handled tastefully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2013-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Violence and current events   Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:13 pm

The 1996 movie had part of the opening gunfight edited in the UK due to violence that had happened recently in Scotland.

Saward always believed that violence "should be shown for what it is" if someone hits you, then people should see the result, and not to necessarily glorify it. True, the death count during his tenure sometimes would have impressed Sam Peckinpah, but they were also competing for audience from The A-Team which was one of those unrealistic American action shows.

One thing that has always upset me has been violence towards women by men. One movie that upset me was called if I recall properly I come in Peace and one scene had a very callous killing of a woman by an alien and it actually sickened me to the point that I stopped watching and will never look at it again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Number of posts : 2148
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Violence and current events   Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:53 pm

A popular show like Doctor Who should be creative enough to have "bad guys" who do not mimic the actions of current terrorists.  Unless they're intentionally trying to comment on current events, the smart move is to self-censor and avoid characters who decapitate one another for the next several years.
The current crop of terrorists are intentionally mimicking what they see on movies as being tough and "bad-ass".  Unless a director intends to demonstrate how cowardly it is to decapitate another helpless human being then they should have enough good taste to avoid the situation.  It's all fiction so the creators can steer the story way clear.  No sense in reinforcing a tough-guy image when it is clearly being misunderstood.  Also a good time to avoid gun-battles in schools and the appearance of charaters who knock their women around to demonstrate macho-ism.  These all seem to be used by terrorists these day who are trying to make themselves feel big.
Which is a shame because a good comedy decapitation can entertain.  The henchman who stands up at the wrong moment while the train is moving, etc.  And I guess it needs to be said that "spurting blood" is probably still not on the list of "family friendly" TV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Violence and current events
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: