Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Help with Rory / Last Centurion modification

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ben C.

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2014-07-24

PostSubject: Help with Rory / Last Centurion modification   Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Ok, so I finally got around to doing the ol' boil an pop to swap heads between Rory and a brown cloaked Centurion (I had a spare of both, and didn't want to mod my only black-cloaked Centurion).

Totally not screen accurate, but happy so far. The only mod I want to do at this point is add some red paint - I have some Liquitex Cadmium Red Deep Hue and Red Oxide showing up next week. Now, since it's already not screen accurate, I'm wondering what to do. I just looked at the episode again, and the cloak is definitely going to get painted red... but I'm wondering what to do with the elbows and 'skirt'. In the episode, it appears that the skirt fabric is brown and black, and the elbows appear to be red. But in my head, I feel like I'd rather have the skirt red as well, and leave the elbows alone (esp. as they would be slightly trickier to do a perfect job, and articulating them may flake the paint as they even do on factory finished figures).

So, just looking for opinions here...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben C.

PostSubject: Re: Help with Rory / Last Centurion modification   Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Ok, so I painted the skirt, cape, and elbows with the cadmium red deep hue, and did a quick 2-pass black wash. Really like the way it turned out. Still mulling over a drybrush of red oxide, but don't think it needs the highlights... for now. Have to look at it for a while and think.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kevin's Customs

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2010-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Help with Rory / Last Centurion modification   Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Very Nice!!! Rory actually had historically inaccurate armor. He had a one piece Brest plate that was goldish in color to make him stand out. It is a Royal pain to sand down the armor. It is a a very nice figure i n it's current form
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://stores.ebay.com/kevins-customs-store?_trksid=p2047675.l25
Ben C.

PostSubject: Re: Help with Rory / Last Centurion modification   Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks! That's interesting to know - and nice because I don't sculpt worth a darn! I can mod with paint, but anything else starts looking hacked and clumpy if I use other mediums or start cutting / sanding and gluing. One thing though for anyone else interested, the pauldrons pop right off if you wanted to do that. However, the cape looks a tad daft without the added bulk of the pauldrons.

Anyway - thanks again, Kevin Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Help with Rory / Last Centurion modification   Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Fantastic job. Great paint job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben C.

PostSubject: Re: Help with Rory / Last Centurion modification   Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:38 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Fantastic job.  Great paint job.
Thanks Ronpur - one of these days I may have the courage to tackle REAL modifications like yours!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Help with Rory / Last Centurion modification
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Projects, Modifications, and Fan Creations :: Models and Modifications-
Jump to: